I’d love to be in touch! Please use this form below to contact me via email (email@example.com). foxyform.com
About Me Hi! I’m Shaylee, I live in the gorgeous Okanagan Valley in British Columbia and love every second of it! I have a Bachelors Degree in Psychology and am
Photo Credit Barnett Photography, Kelowna, B.C. Welcome to Cosmetically Curious My name is Shaylee and I am a proud Canadian Beauty Blogger. I am a student, a writer, a beauty
One of my favourite beauty products is primer! Primers can do so many different things for your skin such as, add hydration, mattify skin, protect with SPF and even colour correct. It really is a multipurpose product and once you find the right one for you, you’ll wonder how you ever did without it! Although they have many different benefits and formulations, all primers are made to do one thing best – prolong makeup wear! Here are some of my favourites for all different skin types. Here are, what I beleive to be, the best primers of the past year!
You may notice in the photo above I have added some labels to help show different categories and benefits for some products. The Green Leaf means this product falls into the Natural or Vegan category. The triple dollar sign ($$$) means this product is expensive.
1. 100% Pure Luminous Primer Vitamins + Antioxidants – $34.00 CAD – When it comes to all natural skin care and cosmetics, 100% Pure is the brand to beat! This silicone free primer contains light reflective pigments to even out skin tone as well as potent antioxidants all in a base that is light and fresh feeling. This primer really does help to hold foundation in place all day and you can feel good about what you’re putting on your skin! This primer would be good for all skin types!
2. Bourjois Bronzing Primer – $24.00 CAD – If you’re like me, super pale, you’re always looking for ways to add a hint of glow to the skin. I layer on bronzing products like it’s nobodies business, but I find that the layering process makes it look much more natural. This is a primer I turn to when I have a bit more colour to my skin already. It’s silicone based, has a great milk chocolate tint and oh yeah, smells like chocolate! This product is great to wear alone or under makeup as it evens out skin tone and provides a smooth base. I would recommend this for normal to dry skins.
3. Cover FX Anti-Aging Primer - $38.00 CAD – If you want your primer to do a little bit of everything plus act like skin care, this is the way to go! Technically, this primer doubles as an anti-aging serum, so if you don’t like the feel of layering products in your AM routine, this is a great alternative to hit a double whammy. This primer CoEnzyme Q10, peptides, hyaluronic acid as well as vitamins F, C and E to nourish, protect and repair skin. This is also a great option if you have normal to dry skin.
4. Hourglass Nº 28 Primer Serum - $75.00 CAD – This is another two-in-one primer that uses a base of essential oils to really hydrate the skin while preparing it for makeup application. It includes 14 essential oils, 10 lipid-rich plant oils and 4 vitamins to give your skin a super charged does of moisture. It also protects skin against the elements, strengthens the natural moisture barrier and evens out the look of fine lines, wrinkles and pores. If you want a super luxurious experience every morning and can afford this price tag, this is definitely something I recommend for dry to very dry or mature skin.
5. Clinique Superprimer in Universal – $29.00 CAD – This one has been my go-to for quite some time now! It’s lightweight, primes skin perfectly by evening out skin tone, blurring fine lines and wrinkles and filling in pores. This formulation is also available in colour-correcting shades to address specific skin concerns. Although, the universal shade does contain more skin care ingredients and delivers more antioxidants and vitamins. This primer is great for any skin type.
6. Laura Geller Spackle Primer in Neutralizer – $30.00 CAD – I’ve only recently discovered Laura Geller products after doing a haul off Hautelook last time it was there. This was one of my stand out favourites of the lot and deserved a spot in my top 8 primers post. The reason I like this one so much is it’s lightweight, yet silicone based so it still does a good job of filling in any lines or pores. It doesn’t leave skin feeling suffocated or greasy like some silicone based primers can and even colour corrects using apricot pigments. This shade evens complexion, disguises darkness and makes skin look more luminous. I would recommend this for normal to dry or slightly oily skin.
7. Bourjois Happy Light Matte Serum Primer - $22.00 CAD – As you may have seen in my most recent primer post, this is my obsession for the summer! I only suffer from slight oiliness in the hot summer months but it can drive me batty! This does an excellent job at keeping me matte for hours (I’m talking 9+) while keeping my makeup from completely melting off. It also does a great job of filling in pores. I recommend using this all over if you are very oily or using just on the t-zone if you only have oiliness there.
8. Tarte Clean Slate Brightening Primer – $39.00 – You may have noticed I’m a fan of silicone free primers. This is another silicone free alternative that offers up to 12 hours wear time and light reflecting pigments to give skin a true, lit-from-within glow. It contains vitamins A, C and E as well as “BerryBright” complex to even the complexion over time, soothing Aloe and moisturizing glycerin. It’s a lightweight, cream formulation that also works well around the eye area to help concealer last longer and brighten things up. If you have a dull complexion, this would be the one to pick! This primer would be great for most skin types, except maybe very oily.
What is your favourite primer of the moment? Do you change primers with the seasons? Let me know in the comments below!
I own all previously mentioned products, some may have been sent for consideration but all opinions are my own.
Colour is the name of the game this summer, and Revlon hasn’t missed the boat! With their latest Gucci Westman Collection, Rio Rush, they’ve come out with some bangin’ (that word seemed appropriate) new shades to help you outshine the summer sun! Here I have the Revlon Rio Rush Lipstick Collection (minus Ipanema Beach – which I really want now that I’ve seen it swatched!) in Sultry Samba (hot, hot pink), Brazilian Tan (tan-nude) and Carnival Spirit (sheer orange).
Revlon Rio Rush Lipstick – Sultry Samba – $9.50 CAD - Let’s start with my favourite of the collection! Man, oh man is this a hot fuchsia pink! The pigmentation is amazing and the matte finish isn’t the least bit dry or cakey. The texture of this lipstick is more like a balm, and it keeps lips feeling hydrated and smooth, which I can’t say for a lot of lipsticks out there!If you’re looking for a “look-at-me” bright lipstick, this is the one to pick up for the season! Plus, it’s a blue-based pink, so it makes your teeth look whiter!
Revlon Rio Rush Lipstick - Brazilian Tan – $9.50 CAD – Next up is Brazilian Tan. This is a deeper, tan/nude shade with a lot of shine to it, but it is considered a creme finish. Personally, I need really light nudes to make them actually look like a nude lip on me, but anyone with medium-tan skin would definitely benefit from a swipe of this lipstick! It would go great with bright cheeks and a deep (faux, hopefully) tan! The texture is slicker than the matte formula and it too feels moisturizing.
Revlon Rio Rush Lipstick – Carnival Spirit – $9.50 CAD – This is the “balmiest” of all the formulations and is one of Revlon’s new Shine finish. Carnival Spirit’s texture reminds me a lot of the Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stains (without the stain) in that it’s sheer, slick and hydrating. The above photo is actually a very heavy application of this lipstick! Before I applied it, I didn’t look at what the finish was and I was pretty shocked when it went on so sheer! I do really like it though and would definitely recommend if you want a pop of sheer colour!
Overall, I think this collection is great – and I bet I would think it was even greater if I could find Ipanema Beach (a light pink)! They all feel great on the lips and give different finishes for different occasions. My favourite is definitely Sultry Samba, it’s a definite showstopper!
Revlon Rio Rush Lipstick
Sultry Samba, Brazilian Tan, Carnival Spirit
$9.50 CAD Each
Available at: Drugstores
Overall Rating: A
Some of these items were sent for consideration, all opinions are my own.
Good Monday morning everyone!
Today I have my latest Ipsy bag to share with you all! This is the July Ipsy Bag 2014, which is themed “Sensationally Sunkissed” and featured products to help protect, beautify and bronze you in the summer sun! I always think it’s fun to see what everyone else received in their bag so I’ve been poking around the internet finding out what everyone else got in their bags. Personally, I couldn’t be happier with my bag and wouldn’t change a single item (so rare for a subscription service!).
June was my first month of subscribing to Ipsy and I thought that bag was kind of a dud – I didn’t even blog about it, but this month has made me a believer again that subscription services can be great! July’s bag came with 4 deluxe samples and a full sized product, which is a great deal for only $10!
Bare Minerals Ready Eyeshadow 2.0 Duo in The Inspiration – Deluxe Sample – $25.00 CAD Full Size – First up is one of the products everyone received in their July Ipsy Bag. This month featured either a Bare Minerals 5-in-1 BB Cream Shadow or this Ready Eyeshadow 2.0 duo. This shadow duo is in the colour “The Inspiration” which is a frosty light pink coupled with a gold-laced deep plum. These shadows have an amazingly soft texture and great pigmentation! This is quite a treat to see in a subscription bag if you ask me, although I would have liked more neutral shades. But, these shadows have “inspired” me to try out more from the Bare Minerals Ready line!
Pop Beauty Sunkissed Bronzer in Secret Sunshine - Full Size – $10.00 USD – It’s always awesome to see a full-sized product in a subscription bag! This bronzer from Pop Beauty is a intense bronze-gold, with a little bit of shimmer laced through it. It has a super soft texture and a lot of pigmentation – a little goes a long way! I’m actually surprised this isn’t worth more money, $10 is a great price for a bronzer of any kind! I’ll definitely use this as a cheek-only bronzer (not for contouring or shading) to give myself a bronzed beauty glow.
Pur-lisse Pur Protect Essential Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 Sunscreen – Deluxe Size – $55.00 USD for Full Size – I’m slightly obsessed with sunscreens, especially natural ones. Although this one isn’t all natural, it does have a great list of natural ingredients to help the skin recover from sun exposure. It also has an SPF 30 to protect your skin all day long. The texture is nice and lightweight and it sinks into the skin almost immediately. One down side is it does have that typical intensely chemical sunscreen odour, but I’ll still be testing this out!
Derma E SPF 25 BB Cream in Light Tint - Deluxe Size – $29.50 USD for Full Size – I’m so happy that Ipsy decided to send out different forms of sun protection! It’s hard to find the right sunscreen that you’re going to want to wear every single day so being able to test different samples is a must! I’m a big fan of Derma E products and was thrilled to see this BB Creme (In my shade!!) in my bag. It’s a light weight, lightly tinted, SPF 25 cream that evens out tone & texture while protecting, softening and moisturizing skin. It does seem a little bit dark for a “light” shade but it isn’t the least bit orange so it’s definitely workable on my skin.
Pixi Tinted Brilliance Balm in Unique Pink – Deluxe Size – $18.00 (?) CAD For Full Size – Last, but certainly not least, is my favourite product in the bag! I’m a big, big, BIG fan of everything Pixi so I was over the moon to see a deluxe size Tinted Brilliance Balm in the shade I wanted, Unique Pink in my bright pink scalloped bag! This has already found a permanent place in my purse, I had to fish it out to take pictures of it. It gives you the prettiest, most natural flush of pink on the lips that stains so it stays! I apply this in the morning and cover it with my Pixi Shea Butter Balm in Comfort Clear to keep lips hydrated all day.
This post contains referral links, if you’d like to sign up for Ipsy, I’d love for you to use my link & help me get points!
Hey everyone! Here is a quick “Thank You” giveaway for helping me reach 1000 Twitter Followers! To enter, you must complete the Gleam widget tasks below, then you will be entered to win a Full-Sized Clarins Double Serum!
This summer, L’Oreal Canada has been releasing some awesome new collections that you may have started spotting at your local Drugstore. One, or two I should say, of these new launches are skin perfecting shades of L’Oreal BB Cream in Anti-Redness and Anti-Fatigue.
You may remember a year or so back when L’Oreal introduced the original Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream. It turned things up-side down with it’s “bursting” skin-matching beads and lightweight texture. Not to mention it was one of the first drugstore priced BB Creams to launch. Now, they’ve added two new shades to their list (which is already includes 4 skin matching shades) including an Anti-Redness option (Green tint) and an Anti-Fatigue option (Apricot tint).
First off, I’m a big fan of L’Oreal BB Cream in Fair. It’s a great primer for a heavier foundation application or a super natural option for everyday light coverage. It’s formulation is super lightweight, hydrating but doesn’t leave skin feeling greasy whatsoever, and the newest versions of L’Oreal BB Cream are just the same!
L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream in Anti-Redness is a great option for skins struggling with rosacea, excess redness or redness caused by acne. It contains a green tint but self adjusts to your shade just like the originals.
L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream in Anti-Fatigue is for you if you have dark spots, lack of luminosity or just an overall tired looking complexion (don’t we all sometimes?). It has an Apricot tint to counteract darkness and highlight the skin to make it look more youthful and awake.
Both formulations and fluid and sheer in application. Initially, both BB Creams are very obviously their respective colour correcting shades. But, once you begin to blend, the colour correcting technology kicks in and it begins to adjust! I love how you can actually see the “skin matching beads”, it’s pretty cool to mix it on your hand and watch it change shades as you continue to blend.
After applying to the skin, you can still notice that they have their colour-correcting properties to benefit different skin concerns. Unfortunately, the apricot-based Anti-Fatigue shade is much too dark for my skin tone. Traditionally, apricot is used on darker skin tones so I think this would be great for those with medium-tan to dark complexions to give them extra radiance and wake up the skin! The green-based Anti-Redness, on the other hand, blends into my skin perfectly and reduces the redness around my nose and mouth quite well! I like it better than using a green-based concealer because concealers can tend to look obvious and cakey in these areas. This lightweight formula corrects without being thick or heavy.
Overall, I’m a fan of L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautfier BB Creams and have been since the beginning! I hope they come out with more colour correcting shades like Lilac and pink to help correct other skin concerns!
L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream Skin Perfectors
Anti-Redness & Anti-Fatigue
Available at: Drugstores
Some of the products in this post have been sent for consideration, all opinions are my own.