I’d love to be in touch! Please use this form below to contact me via email (email@example.com). foxyform.com
About Me Hi! I’m Shaylee, I live in the gorgeous Okanagan Valley in British Columbia and love every second of it! I have a Bachelors Degree in Psychology and am
Photo Credit Barnett Photography, Kelowna, B.C. Welcome to Cosmetically Curious My name is Shaylee and I am a proud Canadian Beauty Blogger. I am a student, a writer, a beauty
July was packed full of favourites! Some old, some new but all of them are relatively amazing and a staple in my routine. Let’s see what I was obsessed with this month:
1. Schmidt’s Deodorant in Bergamot + Lime – $9.00 USD – Is it weird that I always have a deodorant in my favourites? Maybe it’s just because it’s summertime and I’ve been finding myself attached to them lately. Schmidt’s is one of my all-time favourites and I’ve especially been loving the bright & citrusy Bergamot + Lime for these hot and sticky days! The scent is ultra refreshing and lasts all day, it keeps odours at bay and has only natural ingredients, no aluminum and no parabens! I also own the Lavender + Sage and Ylang Ylang + Calendula versions and they are just as great as this one!
2. Jealous Body Scrub – $17.95 CAD – With the amount of skin I’ve been forced to show lately, this body scrub has been an essential part of my shower routine! It’s an all natural scrub that uses coffee grounds, coconut oil, sea-salt and vitamins to blast away dead skin, hydrate and leave you looking polished and glowing! The smell is a-ma-zing and you will find yourself wanting to scrub up with this stuff every time you shower! Leave it on for 10 mins for a bigger punch of cellulite minimizing caffeine!
3. The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter - $16.00 CAD – In the heat and humidity, my makeup tends to feel extra sticky and gross by the end of the day. To get rid of all of it, I’ve been turing to this amazing cleansing butter from The Body Shop! It’s a solid cleanser that melts on contact with skin and seriously gets rid of every last trace of makeup! When you add water, it turns into a milk so you don’t have to worry about it leaving a residue on the skin. This butter also leaves skin hydrated and super soft, even without moisturizer!
4. Smashbox Liquid Halo Foundation in 2 - $48.00 CAD – In the summer I usually like to use a tinted moisturizer in place of my regular foundation. But, my exception is liquid halo! It has a super sheer coverage and feels light on skin but contains lots of “blurring” pigments to make skin look fresh and flawless. It’s completely undetectable on the skin and is great for being out in the bright (and unforgiving) summer sun. It gives a luminous finish without being “shimmery” or “glittery” and makes you look lit from within!
5. Josie Maran Pure Argan Milk – $70.00 CAD – Just because it’s hot and sticky and sweaty outside, doesn’t mean my skin doesn’t still get super dry. My secret weapon to combat dry summer skin or too much sun is this Argan Milk! I find it much more hydrating than the traditional oil and just a few drops goes a long way to plump, hydrate and moisturize skin! It doesn’t leave skin oily so I can use it day and night and it keeps my skin looking so fresh and awake! I can’t be without this stuff!
6. Revlon ColorStay Skinny Liquid Liner in Black Out – $7.99 CAD – Since I received this liner, I literally haven’t stopped using it. This is a truly waterproof, smudgeproof liquid liner that comes with the skinniest applicator on the market! It makes it so easy to get a super subtle, tight lash line or a big, bold cat eye – all with one product. I haven’t had a single smudge while using this liner. ColorStay is one of my go-to liner collections and is the only formulation that can stand up to my incredibly greasy eyelids!
7. Josie Maran Coconut Water Cheek Geleé in Pink Escape - $26.00 CAD – I’m a huge fan of cream blush, and this new gel formulation by Josie Maran is even better for lasting colour in the summer! I own a couple different shades, but have been absolutely loving Pink Escape this month, a cool-toned pink that looks just like my natural flush. The colour is sheer but buildable so you can get the perfect amount of colour for you. It’s also made of coconut water and argan oil to give 14 hours of hydration and 14 hours of colour! A perfect, and lasting, pop of colour for July!
8. Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in Comfort Clear - $8.99 CAD – If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you’ll know how much I love this stuff! I’ve recently finished my first tube and have moved onto my second, with a third in stand by! This lip balm is incredibly moisturizing, smells great and comes in an easy to apply tube which makes it great for work. I have some other great lip balms as well but they all come in pots, which I hate using at work. This one is fast, easy and includes enough hydration for even the driest lips! It also makes a great base for lip colour.
9. Dermalogica Antioxidant Hydramist – $54.00 CAD – This bottle of magical elixir has been my summertime holy grail for cooling down, refreshing makeup and hydrating my skin! It has so many uses that it’s become a staple in my purse and at home skin care routine. It contains a potent mix of peptides, hydrators and antioxidants to ward off skin damaging free radicals and protect it from future attacks. It’s lightweight mist can be applied anytime through the day over, or under makeup and even on the body.
10. Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette in Light – $10.99 CAD – This is the first makeup item I’ve hit pan on in as long as I can remember! I use this palette for everything from hiding undereye circles with the corrector, minimizing the appearance of blemishes with the two concealer shades and reducing shine with the amazing pressed powder. This is seriously the only face palette you’ll ever need. It’s cream concealers are infused with skin care ingredients like jojoba oil and vitamin E to provide extra benefits and it’s pressed powder is undetectable on skin and gets rid of shine in an instant.
11. Juara Turmeric Antioxidant Radiance Mask – $35.00 USD – When my skin has had too much sun or I’ve just been lazy with my washing, I turn to this mask to refresh and give radiance back to my skin! It has quite an intense Turmuric scent, but if you can get past that it gives amazing results! Skin looks hydrated, refreshed and plumped while also making it look lit from within. I leave this mask on for 10-20 minutes once a week to give my skin the boost it needs to look it’s best! It contains antioxidants, kaolin clay and candlenut oil to repair, detoxify and hydrate skin. What more could you ask for in a mask?
12. Mary Kay Makeup Finishing Spray by Skindinåvia- $18.00 USD – A setting spray is essential around here with temperatures reaching up to 43º Celsius. If I didn’t use this spray daily my makeup would completely melt off my face and I would probably frighten many small children. This spray is cooling, light and sets makeup for all day wear. It’s small bottle size is great to be able to carry in your bag – even though you probably won’t need to!
What are some of your July Favourites? Let me know below in the comments! xo
I know these posts are probably starting to all look the same, but I tend to get all my subscription boxes at once, and all at the very end of the month! I’m trying to fit them all in before Aug. 1st, which shouldn’t be hard since this is my last beauty related one! This is the Petit Vour July 2014 box, and I have to say I’ve been anxiously waiting for it! This month, Petit Vour teamed up with Logical Harmony to create a box of her favourite vegan products for us to try! If you’d like to check out my other boxes this month, here’s the latest, Ipsy, Saffron Rouge, Beauty Box 5 & Vegan Cuts!
This month’s box came full with 2 deluxe samples and 2 full size products! Half and half is a pretty good ratio if you ask me. Not to mention one of my all time favourite brands is featured in this box!
Modern Minerals Loose Mineral Eyeshadow in Lola- Full Size – $12.50 USD – Why not start out with one of the full sized items, shall we? Modern Minerals isn’t a company that I’m familiar with, but like I’ve said before, that’s part of the fun of subscription boxes! This eyeshadow is an apricot-rose shade laced with an intense bronze shimmer. It’s a super finely milled powder and applies like a dream. I’m not sure of the staying power but the colour and texture are great, I’d love to check out more shades from this line!
Pelle Beauty Stellar Multitasking Facial Oil - Sample Size – $29.00 For Full Size - This was one of the reasons I was looking so forward to the July box! I’ve heard and read so much about Pelle Beauty recently that I just had to try one of their serums! Luckily, they were also featured in Petit Vour this month. The serum I received is a lightweight oil, good for toning and rejuvinating the skin. It has a mixture of Meadowfoam Seed, Black Currant, Babassu, Rice Bran and Grape Seed oils to lightly hydrate and Neroli and Sandalwood to tone. It’s 100% natural and smells amazing! I think personally, I might need a heavier oil for my dry skin – but this just makes me want to try more of Pelle!
Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant in Ylang-Ylang & Calendula – Deluxe Sample – $9.00 USD For Full Size – You know when I said that one of my all time favourite brands was in this box. Well, this is it! I bet you didn’t expect it to be a deodorant brand, but it is! I’m a big advocate of natural deodorants, this and LAVANILA Vanilla Grapefruit are the only ones I will use. I already own two different scents of these – Bergamot & Lime and Lavender & Sage – so I was SO excited to see my box included a scent I haven’t tried before! This scent is subtle and sweet, with a hint of floral, and I have to say, it might just be my favourite of them all! This deodorant has amazing protection, keeps you smelling fresh all day and is super portable if you do need some backup. I highly recommend these if you’re looking into going natural with your deodorant.
LVX Nail Polish in Lolli – Full Size – $16.00 USD – I love nail polish. I love pink. I love 5 free, cruelty free and vegan. I don’t know what else I can say, other than this is a beautiful opaque, baby pink that glides on smoothly and reminds me a lot of OPI Mod About You which is one of my all time favourite polish colours. It has a thick brush for easier application and comes in a sleek, black capped bottle. Perfection.
Overall, do I like the products in this box? Very much. Do I think it’s a good value? Definitely! Will I stay subscribed? Undoubtedly!
Want more? See my Petit Vour June 2014 Box Review here!
Hey everyone! This is clearly the week of the Beauty Boxes here at Cosmetically Curious! Yesterday, I reviewed the July 2014 Vegan Cuts Beauty Box and today, I have the Beauty Box 5 July 2014 box! I’m recently re-obsessed with subscription boxes, and Beauty Box 5 was definitely one that I had to try out. I’ve read so many posts and watched so many You Tube videos about them that I was sold after seeing the great reviews, high quality products and the VALUE!
Beauty Box 5 is one of the more inexpensive subscription boxes, at only $12.00 per month (+$3.oo for Canada). Each box promises 5 deluxe or full-sized products with a mix of skin care, hair care, makeup, fragrance or nail products. What sets Beauty Box 5 apart from most other subscription boxes is their mix of luxury, eco-conscious, drugstore and indie brands. This not only will give you some of your favourite brands each month, but will introduce you to brands you may have never heard of before – and that’s a big reason I love subscription boxes!
So, I think its fair to say that when I received my July box, I looked a lot like the girl on the information card (see top photo). It’s always to exciting to tear into a box that you know nothing about and reveal all the surprises inside! At first glance, I can already tell you that this box has paid for itself with three full-sized products peeking out!
Revlon Bold Lacquer Mascara in Blackest Black – Full Size – $9.99 CAD – I was (pleasantly) surprised to see a full sized drugstore product in the July box! It’s not often that you see that in subscription boxes, but I’m a big fan of drugstore products and always want to try out more of them! Although I already own this particular mascara, knowing that there could be more full sized drugstore products to come makes me want to stay subscribed! This mascara isn’t my favourite, but it’s definitely worth trying because it does have a good formulation and a good brush. I think a lot of subscribers will be very happy with this!
Nicka K Nail Polish in 139 Ripe Apple – Full Size - $4.99 CAD – I am such a sucker for a deep red nail polish! This Nicka K polish is the perfect, cool-toned shade of blood red that looks classic and classy on nails! Not only is the colour great, the bottle is unique and pretty and the brush is wide and flat, to make application easier. It gives full coverage with one coat, and a deeper, richer colour with two coats. I’m a nail polish hoarder, so of course I’m happy with this product too!
HASK Argan Oil Intense Deep Conditioning Hair Treatment - Full Size – $2.49 USD – I’ve seen these sort of products in the drugstore before but I have yet to try one. They are single (or double) use deep conditioning treatments designed for ultra dry and damaged hair and formulated to give longer lasting results than traditional conditioners. This packet contains a lot of product! I think I could get more like 3 or 4 treatments out of it and I have quite long, thick hair! I’m excited to try this product because I do, in fact, have damaged, dry hair that needs some intense TLC – especially in the summer months! Argan Oil is one of my favourite ingredients so hopefully, this will live up to it’s claims!
~H2O+ Bath Aquatics Shampoo - Deluxe Sample – $16.00 For Full Size – I’ve tried quite a few ~H2O+ products before, but they’ve mostly been skin care and body care items. I’ve never had the chance to try their hair care range, but if it’s as hydrating and nourishing as their other products, I’m sure I’m going to like it! It has a very fresh, subtle scent and an “ultra-gentle” formula, which is something my hair needs! I’m really happy about the size of this sample because I have a lot of hair and foil packets just aren’t enough, for even one wash for me. This bottle has enough product for 2-3 washes so you can really get to know if the product works for you!
Body Drench Candylicious Lip Balm in Grape Lollipop – Full Size – $3.99 USD – While I like 90% of this box, this lip balm is the dud for me. I am obsessed with lip balm and literally have over 50 different kinds in all shapes, sizes and flavours but I just can’t get over the smell of this one. It smells exactly like a Grape Lollipop so if you’re a grape fan you may love it, but that scent is just too sweet for me. It’s too bad because the ingredient list is awesome with lots of oils and butters to hydrate lips and add much needed moisture. Maybe I’ll just have to buy a different scent (or unscented) to really give this a fair trial! This is in no way is a bad product and adds some great value to the box, I’m just picky about overly sweet scents.
Overall, the value of this box is amazing! Adding everything up, you’re receiving over $20.00 worth of products for only $12.00! I like and will use most of the products in this box and think there’s a good variety of different types of products and brands.
Hey guys, welcome to my first ever Vegan Cuts Beauty Box post. I subscribed to Vegan Cuts last month after seen quite a few very positive reviews and some awesome products included in each box! I went a little crazy last month and also signed up for Saffron Rouge Inner Circle, Petit Vour & Nature Box (snacks!) to round out my natural box subscription addiction. You can’t just have one!
The Vegan Cuts Beauty Box July 2014 is my first box from Vegan Cuts. They also offer a snack box if you’re interested in receiving delicious, natural treats delivered to your door every month! Each Beauty Box contains 4-7 cruelty-free samples of natural & vegan skin care and cosmetics for only $19.95 per month (add $8 for Canadian subscriptions and $15 for international).
This month came packed to the brim with 7 samples, what a great month to get my first box! Before digging in, may I note that Vegan Cuts does a fabulous job of protecting everything from spilling or leaking and I really appreciate that! I’ve received one too many exploded and unusable products in my day!
Just the Goods Vegan Hand & Body Lotion – 2x Sample Size (Citrus Blend & Unscented) – $8.50 For Full Size – I’ve always been a beleiver that what I put on my body ends up in my body. Therefore, when I look for body lotions that I’m going to be slathering on daily, I want them to be as natural as possible! This new brand from Winnipeg, Manitoba (Yay for Canadian!) only uses the “goods” with nothing added that your skin doesn’t need. These Hand & Body lotions are also completely vegan so everyone can feel good about using them. The texture is quite different than most other lotions I’ve tried – it’s more of a gel-like texture, but I have to say I’m loving it and will probably purchase a full-size!
Emani Hydrating Lip Colour in Temptress – Full Sized – $16.00 Value – I. Love. This. Colour! I don’t think I’ve ever said that about a beauty box item before, but this is different! When I first pulled it out of the box I thought it might be too intense, but the pigmentation is just so that it’s not an overwhelming “PURPLE” on the lips, it’s more of a “purple” (if that makes any sense). By that I mean it comes off sheer and sophisticated and totally wearable, albeit for the right skin tones. I’m definitely going to get my use out of this and bonus? It’s super hydrating and all natural! I want more of them!
Original Sprout Hair & Body Baby Wash – Deluxe Sample – $26.50 For Full Size (12oz) – I don’t have babies, nor am I a baby but I’m still excited to receive this product and I’ll tell you why! I have super sensitive skin that easily gets red, itchy rashes if I use the wrong types of products. Generally, kids & baby products are ultra gentle so I actually do purchase them quite often, especially in body washes. Most of the time when you find a gentle, non-irritating body wash they are completely unscented – and boring, but this one has an amazingly sweet and subtle smell which makes me so happy! I can definitely see myself purchasing more of this body wash, or maybe even graduating to their adult line!
Ellovi Original Butter – Sample size – $26.00 For Full Size (3.5oz) – I’m really excited to try this product! Like I said, if I’m going to apply something all over my body, it’s got to be natural – and this body butter only has 6 vegan ingredients! It includes Macadamia Oil, Coconut Oil, Marula Oil, Hemp Seed Oil & Shea Butter plus non-gmo corn starch to bind it together. Because it contains no water, it won’t evaporate off the skin and therefore lock in moisture better! According to the website, you can pretty much use this butter for everything from makeup remover, facial & body moisturizer to an aid for cuts and scars. I also spotted a lip butter on their website that I’m probably going to buy before going to bed tonight…
Savvy Boheme Tall Americano Bath & Body Oil – Deluxe Sample – $15.99 for Full Size (4oz) – I’m not 100% on the scent of this oil, but I love the feel and ingredients! The fragrance reminds me a lot of my Franks Body Scrub that contains coffee and coconut, which I find really stimulating and awakening. I generally have baths or showers in the evening so I like my lotions and oils to be calming and soothing to help relax me to sleep. Putting the scent aside, this oil has a great ingredient list which includes Grapeseed oil, Almond oil, Sweet Almond oil, Apricot oil and Vitamin E. I think this body oil would be a slam-dunk for me if it was lavender or vanilla scented. I guess I’ll just have to go purchase the Anouk Scent, which has both!
Nouveau/Organica Organic Cream Colour in Compassion – Full Size – $9.99 Value – Nouveau/Organica is an organic beauty line that creates customizable palettes with interchangeable pans of colour. You can choose from a wide variety of products like foundation, cream colours and even eye and lip primers. I’m a little bit scared that I’ve been introduced to this, I can see my money flying away as we speak. The best part though? It’s not even that expensive! $9.99 for a pan of organic colour is a steal if you ask me. Back to what I actually received, it is one of their Cream Colours, which can be used for eyes, lips or cheeks. The shade compassion is sort of a muted peach with a hint of shimmer. It’s definitely going to be a great way to top of bronzer and add a pop of colour to the cheeks.
Overall, I love my first Vegan Cuts Beauty Box! Not only do I think the value is great (there are two full sized products in there!) but also the quality and usefulness of the products are spot on! They do a great job of choosing items that many people could benefit from, although the lipstick may not be everyones taste, it’s one of my favourite items in this box! I’ll definitely continue to subscribe to Vegan Cuts, and suggest you try it too!
This post contains affiliate links, if you’re interested in this box, I’d love for you to use my link to sign up!
Hey everyone, happy Tuesday! Today, I’d like to introduce you all to the newest member of the Revlon mascara family, Bold Lacquer by Grow Luscious. Everyone loves a good coat of black mascara, even those people I know who don’t wear much makeup generally own a mascara or two. I have been told more than once, after leaving the house without mascara, that I look tired, or sick. Nope, sorry people, just lazy. So now if there’s only one thing I do before leaving the house, it’s apply a generous coat (or two, or three) of mascara to make me look awake and apparently, alive.
So, with that being said, I always have an abundance of different mascaras in my makeup drawer! Revlon’s Bold Lacquer is the newest addition to my collection. I am a huge fan of the original Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara and have gone through more tubes of it than I can count, so I was excited to see they recently added a new member to the Grow Luscious family!
When it comes to mascara wands, I like to keep things traditional. No silicone nubs, no wavy wands and definitely no weird scary, spikey balls on the end! That’s one reason why I like the Grow Luscious line, they have thick, dense bristled brushes that define and separate like nothing else can! With closer spaced bristles, they also add some major volume by depositing more mascara onto each lash, especially near the root.
Revlon Bold Lacquer Mascara is said to be “the ultimate in bold, black definition”. Unlike it’s predecessor, the original Grow Luscious, Bold Lacquer contains high-shine, black fibres to give a deeper, bolder black pigment. It also has a smaller brush and smaller tube (size wise, and volume wise – it contains less product). It gives lashes a glossier finish and less volume than the original. If you’re looking for definition and slight lengthening, essentially, a more natural look – Bold Lacquer is the way to go. If you’re looking for big, bold volume and look-at-me lashes – stick to the original Grow Luscious formula.
Another thing that this mascara doesn’t mention is the original Grow Luscious “lash growing & strengthening” claims. I’m not sure if this mascara contains the same ingredients, but would assume that because it’s from the Grow Luscious range, it would also include these benefits. Revlon doesn’t say anything about this on the packaging or website.
Overall, if you’re looking for a deep black with good definition, this is a good option at the drug store – although, there are better. I would recommend the original formula before this one because of it’s bigger brush, drier formula and voluminous finish – but I like a big, bold lash!
Revlon Bold Lacquer Mascara
Available at: Drugstores
Overall Rating: B-
This product was sent for consideration. All opinions are my own.